The Be Seen Project is a platform and community for BIPOC artists and makers who are using their work to center marginalized voices and create social justice dialogue and change.
. . .
The creative process is inherently revolutionary.
It reflects culture, invites engagement, archives history, builds relationship, and shares visions and narratives that can confront social systems in a powerful way when used as a tool for change.
Black, Indigenous and People of Color have largely been left out of the historical cultural narrative and modern craftivist movement. Art created through our lived experiences of oppression and marginalization is not simply an expression of protest, it offers critical perspective and insight missing from the broader discourse of these movements.
Our project goal is to center these voices and support artists and makers who are confronting systems of oppression through their life, art and craft by:
- Increasing BIPOC visibility and our diverse world view
- Directly funding grassroots artivism, craftivism and storytelling via micro grants
- Offering a launchpad and hub for intersectional art as activism/craftivism work
- Connecting BIPOC activists in creative community
- Fostering project collaboration and cross pollination
- Building BIPOC centered advocacy and resources
We can not change what we can not see. Here's to powerful ways of seeing and being seen.
How you can support:
- Follow and share about the Be Seen Project. Amplify the artists on our IG @beseenproject, shout out our initiatives, subscribe to our zine and podcast, tell friends about this project.
- Create art for our interactive initiatives. All of our featured initiatives are also Creative Calls to Action. Use your creative superpowers to knit, sew, paint, write and quite literally *make* a difference.
- Become an official Sponsor or part of our Cohort, which helps us directly fund our project, initiatives, micro grants, our zine and podcast.
- Share your work and resources. Host a conversation with me about the project. Create a fundraiser. Offer your time, your skills, your goods or your platform to help raise awareness and elevate voices that need to be heard. There are a million creative ways you can put your talents to work - let's collaborate!
- DONATE and help us expand our reach, fund our micro grants, and keep the project going. All donations over $25 will be subscribed to our quarterly print zine!
- Refer an artist. Know someone inspiring who is creating impactful work from a Black, Indigenous or POC point of view? Please do connect us!
Thank you! We could not do this work without your support!